Tag Archives: secret society

    • Phi Mu ~ Sorority Spotlight

      Phi Mu ~ ΦΜ

      Open Motto: "The Faith Sisters.
      Mascot: The Lion "Sir Fidel"
      Symbol: Quatrefoil
      Colors: Rose and White
      Flower: Rose Colored Carnation

       

       

      Phi Mu is the second oldest women's fraternity in the nation. It was originally founded as  the secret society Philomathean Society on January 4, 1852 at Wesleyan College. It was founded by three dynamic young women who were pioneers of their time; Mary Elizabeth Myrick (Daniel), Mary Ann DuPont (Lines) and Martha Bibb Hardaway ( Redding). The came together to form this society to support and encourage one another, for friendship and sisterhood and to challenge each other academically. After many very successful years of growth and development, the Philomathean Society had achieved a lot of respect, recognition and prestige. August 1st, 1904 they were granted a charter to become a national and they adopted the Greek Letters Phi Mu. Mary Ann DuPont (Lines) was the only one of the three founders to see the Philomathean Society become Phi Mu. In 1911 Phi Mu became a proud member of the National Panhellenic Conference. There are currently 115 chapters and they boast over 175,00o collegiate members.

       

       

      THE CREED OF PHI MU FRATERNITY

      To lend to those less fortunate a helping hand.
      To think of God as a protector and guide of us all.
      To keep forever sacred the memory of those we have loved and lost.
      To be to others what we would they would be to us.
      To keep our lives gentle, merciful and just,
      Thus being true to the womanhood of love.

       

      To walk in the way of honor, guarding the purity of our thoughts and deeds.
      Being steadfast in every duty small or large.
      Believing that our given word is binding.
      Striving to esteem the inner man above culture, wealth or pedigree.
      Being honorable, courteous, tender,
      Thus being true to the womanhood of honor.

       

      To serve in the light of truth avoiding egotism, narrowness and scorn.
      To give freely of our sympathies.
      To reverence God as our Maker, striving to serve Him in all things.
      To minister to the needy and unfortunate.
      To practice day by day love, honor, truth.
      Thus keeping true to the meaning, spirit and reality of Phi Mu. 

      From the official Phi Mu website ~ www.phimu.org

       

       

       

       

       

      The members of Phi Mu do so much to help each other, their community and the Children's Miracle Network. Phi Mu strives to raise 500,000 annually for Children's Miracle Network, which they donate to one of the 170 CMN hospitals nationwide. They contribute their time, treasure and resources to assist those in need.

    • Sorority in the Spotlight ~ Alpha Delta Pi

       

       

      Alpha Delta Pi ~ ΑΔΠ

        

      Open Motto: “We Live For Each Other”
      Mascot: The Lion (nicknamed Alphie)
      Jewel: The Diamond
      Colors: Azure Blue and White
      Flower: Woodland Violet

       

       

       

       

       

      Alpha Delta Pi was founded as the Adelphean Society - on May 15th, 1851 - by Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald. It was the first secret society for college women and was founded at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia.  Actually, an interesting fact about Wesleyan College, is that it was the first college in the world to grant degrees to women. A student's day at Wesleyan College was very structured and all the women who attended were from progressive and educated families. Eugenia Tucker enlisted the help of her dearest friends when creating this sorority; Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Ella Pierce Turner, Octavia Andrew Rush, and Sophoronia Woodroff Drews. According to the Alpha Delta Pi Sorority website, Eugenia wrote in her diary, "The society shall be called Adelphean and shall have for its object the mental, moral, social and domestic improvement of its members."

      In 1905 the Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi (AΔΦ) and it later had to change again because there was already a men's fraternity of the same name at universities where they wanted to start chapters. In 1913 the organization became Alpha Delta Pi (ΑΔΦ). There are currently 140 chapters.

      In 1979 Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy. Since that time they have been able to contribute over 5 million dollars to this worthy cause. In the 1983 the Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established. This foundation was put in place, "...to provide essential resources for Alpha Delta Pi Sorority's educational, leadership and philanthropic activities which improve the lives of women and the communities they serve."

       

       

    2 Item(s)