Alpha Delta Pi ~ ΑΔΠ
Open Motto: “We Live For Each Other”
Mascot: The Lion (nicknamed Alphie)
Jewel: The Diamond
Colors: Azure Blue and White
Flower: Woodland Violet
Alpha Delta Pi was founded as the Adelphean Society - on May 15th, 1851 - by Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald. It was the first secret society for college women and was founded at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia. Actually, an interesting fact about Wesleyan College, is that it was the first college in the world to grant degrees to women. A student's day at Wesleyan College was very structured and all the women who attended were from progressive and educated families. Eugenia Tucker enlisted the help of her dearest friends when creating this sorority; Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Ella Pierce Turner, Octavia Andrew Rush, and Sophoronia Woodroff Drews. According to the Alpha Delta Pi Sorority website, Eugenia wrote in her diary, "The society shall be called Adelphean and shall have for its object the mental, moral, social and domestic improvement of its members."
In 1905 the Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi (AΔΦ) and it later had to change again because there was already a men's fraternity of the same name at universities where they wanted to start chapters. In 1913 the organization became Alpha Delta Pi (ΑΔΦ). There are currently 140 chapters.
In 1979 Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy. Since that time they have been able to contribute over 5 million dollars to this worthy cause. In the 1983 the Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established. This foundation was put in place, "...to provide essential resources for Alpha Delta Pi Sorority's educational, leadership and philanthropic activities which improve the lives of women and the communities they serve."