The fall semester is almost here, which means freshmen across the country will be heading to college campuses everywhere. Many of these students will be leaving home for the first time. They may be far away from family and friends and all that is familiar. It can be a little scary but it is a very exciting time as well. For some students the Greek life has great appeal. After all, joining a sorority can really have a positive impact on your college experience and your life. They stress academics, provide opportunities to enhance leadership skills and teach you how to work with others to meet a common goal. You will create great memories and develop life-long friendships So if you are thinking about joining a sorority, we have some tips on how you can make it through rush week.
Rush week is the time when you get to check out all of the sororities your college has and the sororities can check you out. It's a good way for you to get a feel for the house, what Greek life is all about and connect with people who share your similar interests. While rush week and be a lot of fun, it can also be a bit stressful. There will be a lot of meeting, talking and smiling going on. You will start early in the morning and keep on going until late in the evening. So how do you get through it and appear fresh and confident?
1. Get a good night's rest and eat healthy meals - you are going to be on the go and you will need all the energy you can get. A big part of having that energy is getting the right amount of sleep and having good fuel for your body.
2. Be prepared - you'll want to make sure that your purse has a good supply of mints, deodorant, supplies for a quick touch-up to your hair and make-up, a mirror, and some anti-bacterial hand sanitizer.
3. Take a Timeout - be sure that you are taking time to get a drink of water and to rest your feet and your voice. This will help keeping you looking and feeling your best.
4. Be Yourself - you'll want to be sure to be yourself -- you'll be so glad you did! Part of being yourself also includes being honest about what you want out of a sorority. You don't want to join one just because they asked you, you want to know that they can challenge you and offer you exactly what you are going to need.
5. Have Fun - Though rush week can certainly be stressful, make sure you stop to enjoy this experience as well. You are meeting tons of new people from all walks of life. You also get to socialize and learn a lof about yourself. Enjoy!