Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a wonderful opportunity to promote Breast Cancer Awareness in your community and workplace. Not sure how you can help? Here's some ideas that anyone can do:
- Make sure your employer takes Breast Cancer Awareness seriously. Form a committee at work to evaluate your current health care plan to ensure that it allows adequate coverage. Distribute life-saving information to every employee regarding the importance of self-exams and regular mammograms. Many employers even work with a local clinic or mammogram facility to offer free mammograms to every employee on a certain date during October.
- Join a local Race for the Cure in your area. See the Komen.org website for a complete list. You don't have to be in great shape or able to donate a lot of money. Just a little time can make a big difference.
- Save one life at a time - your own! Make sure you know the risk factors, and are getting regular mammograms as recommended by your physician. For a list of mammogram facilities in your area, check out this site.
- Pass out free information at an event, local store or mall, or your office. Get some friends together and have fun working for a great cause. Check out this site for a list of free Breast Cancer Awareness materials.
- Become an advocate for Breast Cancer. Write a letter to your local law makers or a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Check out the Cancer.org website for ways that you can become a cancer advocate.
- Every donation counts! Even if you don't have a lot to give, making a donation will help a great cause and make you feel great, too. You can donate to the National Breast Cancer Foundation online. Also see if you employer offers matching donations!
So pick one idea and go for it! Have other ideas? We'd love to hear them!
For more great ideas on how you can help, visit the Breast Cancer Awareness Month website.
And in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, add a pink ribbon to your daily wardrobe! Maybe it will start up a conversation with a stranger, or simply remind someone that she needs to schedule her yearly mammogram appointment. Here's some of my favorite budget-friendly pink ribbon jewelry: