Monthly Archives: July 2008

  • Summer Trend: Sterling Silver Jewelry

    With high gas prices and a down economy, sterling silver jewelry is really growing in popularity this summer. Not only is sterling silver jewelry classic and lasts a lifetime, it is just so affordable!

    So what is sterling silver jewelry anyway? Many are unaware, but pure silver is actually really soft so it is combined with other metals to produce a more durable metal for jewelry: Sterling Silver. It contains 92.5% pure silver, which is why it is called .925 sterling silver. The other 7.5% is commonly copper or nickel. These metals make the sterling silver more durable without actually changing the color.

    Throughout history women and men have adorned themselves with sterling silver as a symbol of affluence. It is truly timeless, and worthwhile investment since it can be passed down from generation to generation. Silver prices (just like other precious metal prices) are currently on the rise, but yet sterling silver jewelry still remains incredibly affordable.

    For some of my favorite sterling silver jewelry, click the pictures below:

    Sterling Silver Bangle Charm Bracelet Filigree Cross Sterling Silver Earrings Floating Heart Pendant Sterling Silver necklace

  • July is Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month

    This July is Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month, which is sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation in an effort to raise awareness that arthritis affects children and teenagers, too. Though many are not aware of the prevalence, juvenile arthritis is one of the most common childhood diseases in the United States.

    According to the Arthritis Foundation, Juvenile arthritis refers to any form of arthritis or arthritis-related condition that develops in children or teenagers who are less than 18 years of age. About 294,000 children are affected. While there is no cure for juvenile arthritis, medicines and physical therapy can help maintain movement and reduce swelling and pain. Recent juvenile arthritis research found that a gene region known to play a role in some varieties of adult rheumatoid arthritis is also present in all types of childhood arthritis.

    If your child is affected by Juvenile arthritis, you can sign up for a free juvenile arthritis newsletter containing latest information on treatments, research, coping, parenting strategies and profiles of kids with arthritis. You might also be interested in attending the National Juvenile Arthritis Conference July 10th-13th.

    According to the JA Alliance, the following the common symptoms of Juvenile arthritis:

    • Pain, swelling, tenderness and stiffness of joints, causing limited range of motion
    • Joint contracture, which results from holding a painful joint in a flexed position for an extended period
    • Damage to joint cartilage and bone leading to joint deformity and impaired use of the joint
    • Altered growth of bone and joints leading to short stature

    If you would like to find out more or make a donation, visit the Arthritis Foundation website.

    Click the picture below to see some of my favorite blue ribbon juvenile arthritis awareness jewelry:

    Blue Ribbon prayer box charm Blue Awareness Ribbon Crystal Necklace

Items 11 to 12 of 12 total

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
`